All our groups are collaborative, with a friendly atmosphere, and open discussion is always welcome. You’re encouraged to be inquisitive and creative, in everything brought forward by practitioners running sessions, however also in expressing any ideas you have on things you would like to do. All our groups are “member-led”, which means we take suggestions and ideas from members, and create plans for the sessions and performances around what you would like to learn and create.
All our groups are safe spaces for everyone attending. Sensitive and personal information may be discussed in the groups. We expect all members to keep all personal things discussed in the group private, unless it is explicitly stated that something is allowed to be shared outside of it. If you’re not sure what counts as “personal” please ask one of our practitioners.
Members are expected to be polite and respectful towards all other members, practitioners, and guests within all OmniArts settings.
In some of our groups, sensitive topics may come up that could be difficult to listen to. For instance, sharing ideas around creating art, reading scripts, and discussing current issues, could all potentially involve exploring sensitive topics. Meanwhile, members may share personal information on these topics, such as when something significant has happened to them that they’d like to discuss. This could be because they would like to hear the group’s thoughts, or because they need some validation or reassurance.
If we have content planned that we believe might be a difficult or triggering topic: We will provide content/trigger warnings before sharing anything we feel may be sensitive. It is possible we may miss a topic that you believe requires a content/trigger warning, but we will always strive to improve our awareness and sensitivity. Please inform us if we ever do not provide a warning for something you would have liked a warning for. If we share something that causes you upset, please let us know immediately if you are able to, in whatever way is best for you.
If conversation leads into a topic that one of our practitioners feels may be difficult or triggering: One of our practitioners will ask all participants to pause. As with planned topics, if a conversation causes you upset, and a practitioner has not addressed it, please let us know immediately if you are able, in whatever way you can. We will then allow space to confirm where the conversation is going, and check that everyone is happy to continue. If anybody is not, we will work with that person to find the best solution. This could be any of the following, or something else entirely:
- We stop the conversation there, and pause for everyone who had things to say to make notes about it if they want, so they can discuss it later, either outside of the session, or during another session.
- For online sessions, anyone who doesn’t wish to continue can choose to either mute their sound or leave the session for the duration of that conversation. Please note: we will never require someone to leave because a topic has triggered them or caused them discomfort. Safety and comfort will always be a priority.
We are an equal opportunities and all inclusive company. We do not tolerate bullying and hate of any kind, both in and outside of sessions, including but not limited to: homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, panphobia, racism, ableism and any and all forms of body shaming. If you need to report any issues regarding members, practitioners, or companies/ organisations OmniArts is involved with or connected to, please contact Becki Short.
Pronouns will be asked for as a standard in all our groups, and it is requested that members do not assume the gender of anyone else. Our practitioners will always do their best to make corrections if someone is misgendered. This is our policy across all areas of the company.
If you know any sensitive information about a member, including but not limited to: their gender, sexuality, disabilities (such as physical, mental health and learning disabilities) or trauma, under no circumstances are you to share that information with the group, or any other individual group member – both in and out of the group setting, unless that member has already shared it to the group, or explicitly said you can share it.
We as a company and individuals are always learning, and will acknowledge when we learn new information that shows we have been wrong about something said in the past. We expect our members to be equally open minded. If someone corrects you on a topic, acknowledge and accept the information given to you. If a conversation arises from a difference in understanding/opinion, we expect everyone involved in the conversation to respect each other, and have a calm and civil discussion to find an outcome that works for everyone.
If you have any accessibility requirements, please let us know before your first session by email. This includes anything you consider to be an accessibility requirement – we do not need to know the reason unless you wish to share this with us. If your accessibility requirements change at any point, please let us know.
When we run sessions or performances in person, we will always do everything we can to ensure accessibility for everyone. Our standard requirements for venues for any performances we do are:
- Completely accessible for wheelchairs
- Ability to have a separate room for anyone that needs one
- Accessible and gender neutral toilets
When we put on a performance, our standard accessibility that we will provide is:
- Whatever accessibility has been discussed as being required by our members/performers.
- Pre-show warnings, including lighting/sound effects that may be triggering for a variety of reasons, and trigger warnings for any content in the show.
- We include descriptions on all images and video on our website and social media, including any promotional or editorial content sent to other organisations (although we do not have control over whether they will choose to use them)
- If we are sharing media that might be triggering, we will include a content or a trigger warning, including any promotional or editorial content sent to other organisations (although we do not have control over whether they will choose to use them)
We are consistently working to improve our accessibility as a company, and welcome all suggestions.
Outside of Sessions
- We see OmniArts as a family. We run a number of other groups and projects which are all in the performing arts industry. If you want to get involved with anything our company or individual practitioners are doing outside of this group, we would love that! Please just ask what else we do, and how you can get involved.
- As a company, we do not work with people who hold any sort of views that invalidate another person’s existence. If it is found that you hold these views, we will be happy to have an open conversation with you about them, in order to understand why they do not align with our company. If we cannot come to an accord, we will ask you to leave the group, and break any ties with our company.